Tips to Help Avoid E-cigarette Battery Explosions
However, there are things you can do to reduce the risk. The US FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has recently issued the following advice:
What Else Can I Do?
Until all vapes and vape batteries conform to strong and consistent safety standards, your best protection against vape battery explosions may be knowing as much as possible about your device and how to properly handle and charge its batteries.
- Make sure you read and understand the manufacturer's recommendations for use and care of your device. If your vape did not come with instructions or you have further questions, contact the manufacturer.
- Don't remove or disable safety features—like fire button locks or vent holes—that are designed to prevent battery overheating and explosions.
- Only use batteries recommended for your device. Don't mix different brands of batteries, use batteries with different charge levels, or use old and new batteries together.
- Charge your vape on a clean, flat surface, away from anything that can easily catch fire and someplace you can clearly see it—not a couch or pillow where it is more prone to overheat or get turned on accidentally.
- Protect your vape from extreme temperatures by not leaving it in direct sunlight or in your car on a freezing cold night.